Just received a new Scientific Anglers Mastery Series GPX WF-5-F that I ordered from Bass Pro. This line features the new dry tip technology a streamlined loop connection and 1/2 weight over loading. After casting it for a while here are some of my opinions.
*new coating very supple kind to the hand very little memory
* 1/2 weight over add for excellent loading (using fast action rod)
* cast ability on long cast excellent on short casts has a tendency to drop fast on short back cast , roll cast normal.
* floats very high (ordered green/willow) very easy to see on top of water.
* price .... high with shipping $79.90 (glad I had a fathers day gift card thanks kids)
* the loop connector is quite small so care has to be taken when making loop in leader.
All in all I would give this line an 8.5 out of 10 it is capable of making a lighter rod usable on bigger water with out being awkward. Barryl
I like RIO lines. I have the Clouser lines on my 8 and 9 wts. I would like to put them on my other rods. I don't have any fast action rods, most of mine are moderate-fast. The moderate action rods I own all have the standard trout tapers from Orvis or Cabela's.
Scholars have long known that fishing turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. - Patrick F. McManus /// My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells my fly fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.
Rick you'll be happy to know that the 8wt I'm taking to Florida has a RIO line on it. It's the same one I was having trouble with before. The solution was easy put the 9wt line on a faster action 8wt rod and voila! Having no trouble getting 70 to 75ft where I want it with any of the different tips.